Over a number of years, Gray Baynes + Shew refurbished a range of buildings on the east side of St Giles for St John’s College. Middleton Hall, which dates from the mid 17th Century, and was remodelled for College use in 1901, was fully refurbished as student accommodation with en-suite bedrooms, as well as common rooms and seminar spaces. Beyond the Lamb & Flag pub, three Georgian properties at nos 13-15 St Giles were converted from business use for use by the College, providing a range of teaching and administration spaces at ground floor and basement levels, with en-suite student accommodation above. All of these buildings are listed and regarded as of particular historical importance, so our work was carried out in conjunction with detailed negotiation with the Conservation Officer to achieve a result which provides functionality for College use and maintains the historic character of the buildings.
11-15 St Giles, Oxford