New Job Vacancy
New Job Vacancy
Job Title: Senior Building Surveyor
Location: Oxford City Centre
Contract: Full time (37h per week)
An exciting opportunity has arisen for an experienced Chartered Building Surveyor to join our team, working in a multi-disciplinary consultancy in central Oxford.
As our Senior Building Surveyor, you will become a key point of contact for our clients so your communication skills and commercial awareness will be essential. You will work alongside our Partner Surveyor and a team of Architects and Surveyors for a range of clients, managing their property portfolios, designing and managing their projects, as well as retaining existing client relationships and developing new ones. You will be involved in projects from inception through to completion and will be responsible for providing advice on the design, construction, maintenance, repair and refurbishment of their properties, as well as health and safety advice when acting as Principal Designer. You will be working across all sectors, with the primary focus being on education, healthcare, defence, and commercial properties.
This is a client facing role and an opportunity to further expand your skills, build upon your experience and develop your career in a growing and successful team.
Role and Responsibilities
- Liaise with clients and consultants to formulate briefs, project programmes and allocate resources to achieve the scheme objectives.
- To liaise, programme & co-ordinate works with internal project delivery teams comprising of: Architects, Surveyors, technicians and interior designers
- To manage all project delivery stages (pre and post project) on a variety of schemes for various clients and frameworks
- Appoint and monitor the design team in order to ensure that design services are provided in good time to meet overall scheme objectives.
- Manage delivery teams (design teams and contractors) by monitoring performance against targets and instigating any corrective actions.
- Update clients and design teams on progress and maintain regular contact to ensure lines of communication remain open to facilitate any issues that may arise.
- Develop client briefs and provide advice to manage and improve their property portfolio
- Ensure scheme compliance with statutory and health and safety legislation
- Generate repeat business and participate in local business development initiatives
- Carry out building and measured surveys
- Analyse and report on building defects
- Ensure buildings conform to the latest building regulations and technical standards
- Advise on planning applications, appeals, boundary disputes, and Party Wall negotiations
- Complete and administer building contracts (typically JCT)
- Prepare schedules of dilapidations
Experience and Skills Required
- Chartered member of either RICS or CIOB
- Experience in a similar role with a project work bias
- Highly literate with a personable demeanour
- Competent in the use of AutoCAD or Microstation drawing software, and the Microsoft Office suite
- Experience using Revit and Sketchup are preferable, but not essential
- Proven business development experience or an established client base
- Full UK Driving Licence
- Ability to demonstrate a flexible approach to work and willingness to travel or stay away from home for short periods on occasion.
Gray Baynes + Shew was established in 1933 and is an award-winning architectural practice, based in Oxford. We have a keen eye for excellent design and a passionate focus on customer service. We work across a range of business sectors including Education, Defence and Healthcare and create buildings for all kinds of people and organisations. No matter the size or scale of a project – people are always at the heart of the spaces we create.
We have two Partner Architects and one Partner Surveyor, each with their own areas of expertise, who collaborate across sectors and projects to maximise the benefits of their experience for clients and end users.
Working for us you will get 24 days annual leave (plus bank holidays) and will be working 37h per week. We understand that everyone has different needs and commitments outside of work and believe that a good work-life balance is essential, so we offer a flexi-time scheme to enable you to plan your hours around your life. This is an exciting opportunity to work for a well-established multi-disciplinary practice in central Oxford and to become a key senior member of a dynamic and friendly team.